When planning out your social media strategy there are a lot of options from which to choose. These include what you want to post, how frequently you will post, what types of social media accounts to make, and more. However you choose to use social media, it is always important to apply the 80/20 social media rule. The rule can help companies have a fair balance between different types of content. For example, 80 percent of content should be entertaining, interesting and sharable, whereas the remaining 20 percent should be all about you and your brand.
(Image retrieved: http://www.business2community.com/content-marketing/80-20-rule-content-origins-apply-0855447)
You may be asking yourself, “What type of content falls under the 80 percent?” The content that falls under the 80 percent is all the posts that are considered entertaining. For example personal blogs from employees, photos, informative posts and did I mention photos? A lot of fans on social media LOVE photos. You would not believe how many likes a picture of the office dog can get in a matter of minutes. It is very important to make this content filled with fun and shareable posts. Also, the 80 percent is a great way to engage and start conversations with your audience.
(Image retrieved from Bordas & Bordas Attorneys, PLLC Facebook )
The 20 percent should be mainly focused on your brand and how it can be beneficial to the audience. Anything from your services or products your company offers to informing them about a sale could fall under the 20 percent category. The over all goal of this content is to motivate your audience to learn more about your company.
The best way to find out if you are following this rule is to go through the social media content on your page and categorize it. Look at the year 2015 and make two categories: entertainment and brand. Count each post and keep a tally. From here, you can figure out the percent by taking the amount of each category and dividing it by the total of all posts. You may find that you are not exactly in the 80/20 area, but if you are close, for example 73/27, you can still give yourself a pat on the back. Of course this can be measure using social media tools as well.
If your posts are not even close to the 80/20 spectrum, you should reevaluate your social media strategy. When making the decision to create various social media accounts for your company, it is extremely important to have a plan. Whether your business chooses to hire an advertising agency to do the job, or chooses to conduct the sites yourself, you should never, ever “wing” the job. Social media is this crazy, free, and effective way of advertising and getting your product or service out there; therefore, it is important to treat it like gold and to have a strategy and goal in mind (Morgan, 2015).
*Blog previously published by Olivia Morgan on Wheelhouse Creative, LLC Blog*